Four Metropolitan police officers are charged with “sustained and very violent assault” against a Muslim during and after his detention over terrorism charges of which he was later cleared.

The jury at Southwark crown court heard that Babar Ahmad was punched, kicked and stamped on by four Scotland Yard specialist officers during his arrest in south west London back in 2003.

The prosecuting council Jonathan Laidlaw QC told the inquiry that Ahmad was pushed into the Muslim prayer position at his house while an officer tried to humiliate him shouting “where is your God now?”

“The officers began to shout and swear, calling Babar Ahmad a ‘fucking bastard’ and a ‘fucking cunt’, and he was punched and beaten on the floor. On the floor the assault continued as his wife called out for the police to stop,” Laidlaw said.

“The mocking of Mr Ahmad’s faith was to continue, and there were, as you will hear, further attempts to humiliate and to embarrass him,” he added.

According to the prosecution, Met officers’ assault caused “injuries all over the victim’s body”.

Police constables Mark Jones, Roderick James-Bowen and Nigel Cowley and Detective Constable John Donohue have all denied the charges.

The prosecution evidence also showed that Ahmad had not even resisted his arrest.

“Dressed only in his pyjamas and barefooted, Mr Ahmad raised his arms above his head to indicate that he was not going to fight or to present any sort of danger or threat to the police,” the prosecutor said.

The court also heard that Ahmad was taken into custody at Charing Cross police station but his cell was not equipped with a CCTV allowing officers to freely continue his beating.

Yet the custody sergeant at the police station reported hearing “screams” of “what I believed was a man and that he was in prolonged discomfort and pain. It was definitely the sound of pain and not of him shouting out”.

The custody sergeant’s evidence also confirmed accounts of Ahmad’s beating as he said the victim was bruised and in “a collapsing state” when he was brought to the station.

The custody officer said the four claimed Ahmad who was charged with funding terrorist organizations had resorted to violence during his arrest.

The hearing also heard that Ahmad was cleared of the charges shortly after his arrest though he was later taken into custody in 2004 over claims by the US justice system that he helped raise money to fund terrorism.

The hearing into Babar Ahmad’s case continues and he is to appear as a witness at the court on Thursday.



Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pin It on Pinterest