Tooting terror suspect Babar Ahmad has refused to stop fighting for “justice” after four police officers accused of assaulting him during his arrest were told they will not face a misconduct hearing.

The Metropolitan Police’s (Met) Directorate of Professional Standards was tasked with launching a misconduct review into the actions of Detective Constable John Donohue, 37, and PCs Roderick James-Bowen, 40, Mark Jones, 43, and Nigel Cowley, 34, after they were acquitted of assault by a jury at Southwark Crown Court last week.

But, after the review was concluded, a Met spokesman said: “The officers have been informed there are no misconduct matters to answer in connection with the incident.”

Mr Ahmad, who was suspected of leading a small UK based group providing “logistical support, financial assistance, recruits and computer expertise” for overseas Jihadi groups, has always maintained he was attacked by arresting officers in his Tooting home during a raid on December 2, 2003.

He was paid £60,000 in damages by the Met in a civil case in 2009, with the authority conceding he had been the victim of “a serious, gratuitous and prolonged” attack.

After the Met made its announcement, Mr Ahmad’s family released a statement, which said: “The haste with which this decision has been reached is not consistent with considered reflection upon the evidence heard at Southwark Crown Court.

“This decision is also inconsistent with the Met Commissioner’s admission in 2009 civil proceedings that his officers were responsible for the assault upon Babar.

“The standard of proof in misconduct proceedings is the same as that in civil proceedings. Babar calls for the recording from the probe to be released to his solicitor so that it can be subjected to independent expert examination “The Met does itself a great disservice by continuing to turn a blind eye to the behaviour of certain members of its force, not least those in the Territorial Support Group. This matter will not be laid to rest until we get justice.”

Mr Ahmad has been in custody without trial since August, 2004, fighting against extradition to the US on terror charges.

SOURCE: Wandsworth Guardian

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pin It on Pinterest