Further to the historic interview with Babar Ahmad on BBC Newsnight, the Free Babar Ahmad (FBA) Campaign urges all supporters to write to the Attorney General to demand that he order a full public inquiry into the mishandling of the evidence seized from Babar’s home.
For eight years, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has repeatedly maintained that there was “insufficient evidence” to prosecute Babar for any crime in the UK. However, in November 2011, the CPS admitted in a letter to Babar’s legal representatives that it had reviewed only “some of the material” gathered during the searches of his house and office but “a significant amount” had not been reviewed.
It is clear that the bulk of the evidence gathered by the police was provided directly to the US authorities without the CPS ever reviewing it. This is a very serious and unprecedented abuse of process which has resulted in a man being detained without trial for almost 8 years, the equivalent of a 16 year criminal sentence.
There is an urgent need for a public inquiry into the manner in which the police and CPS mishandled the evidence seized in December 2003 and their subsequent actions.
Please ask your MP to write to the Attorney General demanding a full public inquiry into the matter.
We encourage supporters to prepare their own letters using the above points. A sample letter is below for your convenience but a personalised letter always carries more weight.
1. Visit http://www.writetothem.com
2. Enter your full UK postcode.
3. Select the hyperlink under “Your Member of Parliament”.
4. Enter your full name, address and email.
5. Copy and paste our template letter below. You can personalise your letter whilst keeping the main points.
6. Preview and send your message.
7. Ensure you check your email to confirm your message, or it will not be sent to your MP.
8. If you experience any technical difficulties whilst sending your message please visit www.theyworkforyou.com to obtain your MP’s contact details, by entering your postcode and following the link to their personal website.
9. To help us track which MPs have been contacted, kindly send a copy of your correspondence and any replies received to email@example.com .
Dear [INSERT MP NAME]
As a constituent of yours, I am writing to request you contact the Attorney General to demand that he order a full public inquiry into the mishandling of the evidence in the Babar Ahmad case.
I understand that the CPS admitted in November 2011 that they had never reviewed all of the evidence seized from Mr. Ahmad’s house and office before it was sent by the police to their US counterparts. I further understand that for the past 8 years, the CPS has maintained that there has been “insufficient evidence” to charge Mr. Ahmad with any offence, a questionable position considering they never reviewed all of it.
I understand that the US is not obliged to give evidence it holds to our authorities but in a situation where a British citizen is being accused of a very serious crime alleged to have been committed in the UK, I find it completely outrageous that evidence gathered in this country is sent abroad before even being reviewed by our own authorities.
This is all the more sinister when viewed against the backdrop of a man being detained without trial for a record-breaking 8 years.
As a constituent of yours, I am requesting you to urge the Attorney General to order a full public inquiry into the matter.
Kindly respond to me with a copy of any correspondence or representations that you make regarding this matter.